The Denver Public Library Friends Foundation
The Denver Public Library Friends Foundation enriches our community by building support and raising money to enhance the Library's programs and services.
When you join us, you'll:
- Encourage over 43,000 kids to keep their love for reading alive thanks to our hugely successful Summer of Reading program
- Assist nearly 14,900 parents and their children with English language, citizenship and literacy programs
- Help many grateful adults connect to the world with expert technology assistance
- Put thousands of new books, CDs and DVDs on the shelves every year
August is Admit You're Happy Month
Posted on 08/01/2016
Well, we made it. Summer is coming to a close and we’re looking down the road towards school shopping, fall pumpkin season and family holidays. But, summer isn’t over quite yet.
The month of August happens to be National Admit You’re Happy Month. There are lots of things to be happy about in life, and August is a chance to appreciate all of them.
If you’re not quite sure what you have to be happy about, don’t worry. Today we’ve compiled a list of 31 awesome ideas you can take advantage of each day this month to boost your happiness. So take a gander, and go ahead, admit it… you’re happy.
- Write yourself an encouraging note. Stick it somewhere you’ll see it for an extra boost of encouragement throughout the day!
- Write someone else a friendly note… just because.
- Practice positivity. See how long you can go without complaining once.
- Spend time outdoors. Nature has ways of instilling joy in us.
- Go on an adventure. Skip the planner for a day and see where the road takes you! You may be surprised at what you find.
- Treat yourself to a delicious carefree snack just for fun!
- Compliment a stranger. Pay it forward and see how many people’s days you can make.
- Have a dance party. In your house alone or with other people, break it down and get groovy.
- Sleep all day. Take a break from work and spend an entire day lounging around in bed and relaxing. Sounds nice, right?
- Donate to a cause. Pick a charity you believe in and give away!
- Explore your spirituality. See what joy and peace you can find and grow inner self.
- Play a board game. Because family game nights just never get old, do they?
- Try a new hobby. Interested in playing guitar? Painting a picture? See what joys await you and start exploring potential hobbies.
- Give a hug. Even people who aren’t touchy need a hug every now and then.
- Try a new recipe. Get creative and see what you can cook up in a hot kitchen!
- Play with puppies. Check out your local pet shelter and see if there are any animals to play with, then go forth and have the greatest day ever.
- Watch a funny movie. Laughing until your sides hurt always brings joy.
- Reconnect with your relatives. Haven’t called grandma in a couple months? Give her a ring, catch up and see how you can develop the relationship.
- Go on a date. Because romance is fun, too.
- Get a makeover. Go shopping, get your hair done or try some new cologne. When you look good, you feel good and happiness is right around the corner.
- Read a good book. There’s really nothing better.
- Go to a concert. Music speaks to the soul and tells it to be happy.
- Try meditating. It’s good for your physical, mental and emotional health. All around solid choice for a day well spent.
- Go out to dinner at your favorite restaurant. A classic that never fails to produce results.
- Buy yourself flowers then put them somewhere you’ll see their beauty every day.
- Write a poem/short story/blog article about something that makes you happy.
- Try nature photography. You may need a camera for this one, but who knows? Smart phones can work wonders.
- Watch the sunset/sunrise. Whether you’re a night owl or an early bird, you’re covered.
- Make a list of everything you’re grateful for and take time to appreciate it all.
- Exercise. Because exercise gives you endorphins and endorphins make you happy.
- Throw a party and celebrate 31 days of happiness!
What other ideas can you think of that make you happy? Try them out and spend time this August appreciating all the little things in life. And just admit it… you’re happy.